In Kenya, life is tough for women – especially pregnant women who have no support. Many turn to back yard abortion and tragically, a lot of women die from abortion complications. These women – pregnant and without support – need a safe-haven.
The Sunflower Effect exists to help these women and their babies by raising money for Mercy House in Kenya. Mercy House is taking in pregnant women, caring for them throughout pregnancy, labour and after.. as long as they’re needed!
It’s definitely a worthy cause – saving lives and all – but we can’t all necessarily afford to support them single-handedly.
If we are all going to put our money together – whatever small offering we can each bring – it adds up so quickly! So why not just give it a try. How about choosing one thing – one idea – to raise some money for Mercy House.. and then sit back and watch what can happen.
Here are three fun ways to support these women financially – so that the amazing people at Mercy House can do what they do so wonderfully – without spending a dime:
1. Gather together all the clothes your kids have outgrown – and the clothes you don’t wear anymore.. sell them on eBay and donate the proceeds! Simple.
2. Are you a keen gardener? Why not sell some of your home grown produce? You could sell it to a local co-op or to friends. Send around an email with prices and let them know what produce is available. Or even grow some Sunflowers to sell.. with all this sun, mine are growing nicely this week!
3. Invite a few friends over for a fun morning tea, chat with them about the work of Mercy House (and about getting on board with The Sunflower Effect!) and take up a gold coin donation (mention this in the invite). You’ll have a great time and also help women who need us. Don’t forget how important it is to raise awareness – use this opportunity to educate your friends with a few carefully chosen facts.
So.. which one did you choose? Please tell me how you go.. and take loads of pictures to share! If you decide to raise some money, click here to visit our page on Razoo and donate securely (Razoo has set a $10 minimum but all donations are tax deductible).
I’m working on a few of these ideas myself.. Every dollar counts so I might as well have fun making the money! I’ll keep you posted.
More on The Sunflower Effect below to catch you up if you’re a first time visitor.
What else can I/we do to raise money for Mercy House? Share your suggestions so I can give them a go!
Cheers and have fun raising those dollars!
About The Sunflower Effect
There are many things I take for granted. The fact that I have food to feed my children – I take that for granted. When I am pregnant, I assume there will be quality health care available to me and my baby. If my children are sick, I know I can pop out to the doctor or chemist for advice and medicine. Without realizing it, our family is kept alive and well by the infrastructure of our country.
The thought that my children would miss out on food for hours, days, even weeks.. until their tiny bodies can no longer function – that’s a thought I’ve never had to ponder, let alone fear. Unfortunately, a large portion of the mothers in our world do have to think through this scenario, fear it and all too often – experience it.
I’m a busy mum. My husband has a business and we have three young children. Like everyone, life is full. But I can’t shake that small still voice inside me which whispers, “No mother should have to watch their child die from hunger..” When I’m going about my day, loving my kids, feeling frustrated by my kids, dropping into bed exhausted by the end of the day – every now and then the thought enters my mind, “Why do some mums miss out on the opportunity to care for their kids like I do?”
The reality is, right now in the western world, as we raise our children and establish our lives, the large majority of us mums are unable to actually go overseas and help – in a hands on way. We can give though, and if we give together, we can make a real difference. It actually doesn’t cost as much as you’d think. Organisations like Mercy House Kenya do amazing things on a tiny budget. They have perfected the art of doing a lot of good, for a small amount of money. The money we give allows the people at The Mercy House Kenya to do what they do best – give life, hope and a future to mothers who are otherwise without all these.
Here’s my idea:
I want to raise money to support The Mercy House. I don’t want to (and can’t!) do it alone. I want to do it with you – the readers – if you’re keen and agree with me; that other mums deserve just as much opportunity as we do.
No matter how small (or big!).. every donation will allow Mercy House Kenya to help women and their babies. If we all give the bit we can afford, together we can make a large donation to help the people at Mercy House Kenya do what we can’t do right now. The Sunflower Effect is signed up at Razoo (kinda like the EverydayHero site). You can donate at Razoo by clicking here and the money will go directly to Mercy House!
What is Mercy House Kenya?
Mercy House Kenya was started by Kristen Welch from We Are That Family (blog) last year as a safe haven for women who are pregnant and in danger. Annually, 21,000 women are hospitalized from having an illegal, unsafe abortion in Kenya (Center for Reproductive Rights). With rape being incredibly common and 1500 women dying in childbirth everyday in Africa (WHO), Kristen and her family decided to do what they knew God wanted them to do and opened a home in Kenya. The home is run by Maureen, a Compassion International Leadership Graduate and provides medical care, counselling, safety, bible teaching, education, opportunities for future self-employment and more.
What can you do?
There are three things you can do right now which would really help kick start the project.
1. Tell your friends. Every (1) Matters is on facebook (Joni’s Jottings) and twitter (@jonisjottings). If you like what you have read, please share this post wherever you can. Feel free to use information on this blog to inform others. You could also email your friends and family about The Sunflower Effect!
2. Pray. I really believe that God is supporting this little project and that He will be right behind us as we raise these funds and talk about these issues. If you feel that way inclined, I’d love to have your support in prayer. Things always work better when God is on board 🙂
3. Donate. I know, everyone is after your money. If you don’t want to donate, that’s cool. If you do, thanks! Any amount, even $10 is wonderful! If we all gave at $10 we’d be there in no time.
I’m really excited about doing this – I hope you are too 🙂 Let’s do this thing together.