Funds donated, awareness raised and action played-out all pale in comparison to the impact of one vital response: prayer. I’ve been wanting to join some prayer networks and really do my bit for the world by funnelling God’s grace and Spirit to those who need Him desperately. I’ve felt overwhelmed though, by the seemingly mammoth task and assumed that I didn’t have the time to make such a commitment. I assumed that this was a valid excuse.
Here’s proof of how wrong my assumptions were; Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
I’m now very much convinced that praying is an imperative part of our relationship with God – and by praying in this post I guess I mean interceding for those who are in great need – whether they be close by or nations away. I always felt overwhelmed by the whole ‘prayer network’ idea but am realising what power is in the united prayer of many. There’s nothing overwhelming, ‘super-spirro’ or freaky about joining and contributing to a prayer network. In fact, it’s a beautiful, loving contribution to our world. Most importantly, it’s God’s will for our lives.. (apologies for the Italics – they won’t budge!)
I asked around and did some research and found some really helpful tips (and even better bible verses) to help me in my quest for a more impacting prayer life;
- Break up your prayer list (which may include friends, family members, different prayer networks’ points, nations, missionaries etc) into seven manageable chunks and allocate each to a certain week day.
- When praying for the nations pray that the Holy Spirit will have His way in the nation’s leaders and in the hearts of the people.
- Follow the prayer plan or calendar for the various prayer networks you may participate in.
- Dedicate a notebook to prayer and at the top of each page write the name of the people you’re praying for. You can then update the page with dated inserts eg. answered prayers, developments, new prayer requests etc.
- NEVER underestimate the power of fasting. I figure, if Jesus needed to fast before he could perform his most incredible miracles, then I definitely need to. (Jentezen Franklin has a really helpful book, aptly named Fasting)
- When in doubt, pray in tongues. Jesus is the best intercessor of all!
- If we don’t know how or what to pray, it doesn’t matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. Romans 8:26 MSG
- AND pray for absolutely everything, ranging from small to large. Include everything as you embrace this God-life, and you’ll get God’s everything. And when you assume the posture of prayer, remember that it’s not all asking. If you have anything against someone, forgive – only then will your heavenly Father be inclined to also wipe your slate clean of sins. Mark 11: 24-12:8 MSG
My favourite verse on prayer, so encouraging, sums everything up:
‘Call to Me and I will answer you. I’ll tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own.’ Jeremiah 33:3
Are you linked with any prayer networks? How do you make sure you pray for everyone and everything you need to? Share your tips!
Beautiful photo many thanks to SayPeace